RE: Re - Structural Engineers

From:	Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com
[SMTP:Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, September 30, 1997 6:23 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re - Structural Engineers

IMHO, a registered Civil Engineer should not advertise that he

does Structural Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering, unless
he/she has
met
the requirements of the title acts.

Rick Drake, PE, SE, ASCE, SEAOC, EERI, AISC, BS, MS
Fluor Daniel, Irvine

Rick, how do you define the work that a "titled" Civil Engineer
performs for an architect on a building. Are you suggesting that
we be allowed to design buildings and stamp drawings but refrain
from using the term "structural engineering"? OR, are you
suggesting that we not be allowed to design buildings and stamp
plans? OR are you suggesting that we be allowed to design
buildings and stamp drawings but white-out every place the
phrase "structural engineering" is written or "bleep out" all
spoken responses? Fortunately, you can't censure the word
engineering or we would only be "dam" Civils.
I suggest you read Joe McCormick's response:

"The "CE" is the practice act; the "SE" is a title act.  Not all
doctors are "surgeons"...but all surgeons ARE
doctors.  So for Pete's sake, don't water down the profession by
excluding yourself from the Civil
Engineering community if your area of competence is primarily
structural"

Dennis Wish PE