From: Bill Allen
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: Sawn Beam Repair?
Date: Wednesday, October 01, 1997 10:12AM

I am working on a project that is currently in construction. This is a
single family residence. I have specified a 4x12 #2DF beam supporting
some ceiling framing at the second floor. According to the contractor,
the beam had a slight crown (upward camber) when installed. Near the
midspan of the beam, there exists a knot near the bottom edge of the
beam near the midspan. A crack has developed at the knot and the beam is
sagging.

Short of replacing the beam, is anyone aware of a practical technique to
repair this beam?

Thanks,
Bill Allen