RE: Seismic earth pressue force increment

Lynn,

I know your problem.  There is no agreement among soils engineers on how
to calculate the seismic induced soil lateral load.  I tried to make it
happen in the last cycle of the BSSC, but was met with torches and
pitchforks carried by the soils engineering community.

There is the Mononobe-Okabe equation (used by AASHTO), but the accuracy
is a matter of contention, and they result in rather large loads.  Some
soils engineers claim that there is no seismic induced soil lateral
load.

In your particular case, I do not understand how the weight of the
building enters into the equation.  I believe you need to use the 0.4
factor because the induced dynamic lateral force is from the surrounding
soil and is not a function of the structural response.  You really
should get back with the soils engineer.  Like I said earlier, there is
no agreement in the geotech community.  Every soils engineer draws their
own conclusions and recommendations.

Good luck,
Harold Sprague
Black & Veatch