Re: Architects and Human Occupancy

From: ErnieNSE(--nospam--at)aol.com <ErnieNSE(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Thursday, October 02, 1997 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: Architects and Human Occupancy

>Dennis,
>
>We can start by changing SEAOC(seaosc,etc.) to mean Structural
Engineering!!!
>Association of California. All licensed CE's will be Member, non-licensed
>CE's will be Associate Member, non-CE's will be ?????, etc. And all must be
>practicing Structural Engineering. Let's define Structural Engineering as
the
>field of Civil Engineering dealing with the structural analysis and design
of
>any structure. We can add to this definition later.

I agree with you. As members of Structural Engineers Assoc., we seem to be
breaking the rules by the assumption that a member is an SE. I never thought
of that. This has only occured in the last couple of years when CE's were
elevated from associate to full members. The title seems to be misleading.

>If SEAOSC is going to help our cause, they should be the first to support
our
>position. They could even call for a vote for all members to see if
majority
>supports this position. If they do, then we can start, if not, we're back
at
>square one.

Would you suggest doing this by the addition of a survey added to monthly
newsletters from each chapter? How would we be sure to get a fair
representation since the numbers returning surveys is generally very low.
Would it not be a fair assumption that all CE's support this position and
all SE's don't even though there are many on both sides that have opposing
views. This would lead to simply looking at the percentage of the paid
membership that is licensed in one area or another.
I spoke with SEAOSC yesterday and the breakdown is as follows. 784 SE's and
514 CE's. That relates to approximately 39.99% or 40% of the licensed
members are CE's - not the majority, but substantial.
Now the big question - how do you create interest in the issue so that each
member SE or CE will have their opinions noted? Like politics, those
responding may need to be considered a reliable sample of the whole
community. I'm not sure that is is fair to either side.

>I'm also wondering what the other list members think of my previous post
>about this issue.

I hope they will respond even if they are undecided!!!!!!!

>If there are enough people who want to be involved in the issue and SEAOSC
>does not want to support it for now, we can start our own committee.

Ernie, I believe we already have.