FW: Error in Phone Book - Structural Eng

I've been keeping up with this and similar topics, and I want to add my
thoughts and personal experience with the California S.E. registration
process to the discussion.

In my opinion, all this discussion and concern about S.E. versus C.E., while
well intentioned, misses the point. Just because you are NOT an S.E. does
not mean you are not qualified.  Likewise, just because you ARE an S.E. does
not mean you are qualified.  I'll take practical experience over
test-passing ability anyday!    If you practice "structural" engineering, I
say list yourself in the yellow pages as such.  If you do something special
requiring an S.E. stamp, get a S.E. as a sub-consultant.

MY OWN S.E. REGISTRATION EXPERIENCE FOLLOWS:
I am "structural" engineer who practiced for 12 years in Texas as a
Professional Engineer (it doesn't get any higher than that in Texas), then
moved to California in 1991.  Since reciprocity does not exist between Texas
& California (because California does not allow it), I had to take a special
seismic and surveying!!!! test (offered every 6 months), then wait for
written notification of a passing score before I could submit my application
to take the California S.E. exam (offered once a year).  It took me two
years to get my S.E. license after moving here, and that was the quickest
timeframe possible under the system.   I was a registered P.E. in Texas for
over 8 years prior to moving to California.

My 3 references for the California S.E. exam had to be California S.E.'s
only, including for my 12 years of structural engineering experience in
Texas.  My former employers in Texas, each with 25+ years of practical
structural engineering experience with Masters and PhD degrees could not
serve as references for the California S.E.  I had to fly back to Texas on
my own nickel, get copies of past project drawings and calculations, then
submit them to a California S.E. for his review.    Otherwise, I would have
had to wait and work 3 more years (whatever it is) under the direct
supervision of a California S.E. before submitting my application for the
California S.E exam.  So that would be getting a California S.E. license
about 5  years after moving here.

I submitted my S.E. application about 3 months before the deadline.  Just to
make it interesting, about one week before the deadline, I got my S.E.
application returned to me from the "Great State" of California along with a
form letter stating that my application was not acceptable because the
entire description of my  previous 13+ years of structural engineering
experience needed to fit into a roughly 3 inch by 5 inch space on the
application.  (In the words of that immortal philosopher, Gomer Pyle,
surprise, surprise, surprise!).  I had attached an 8-1/2 x 11 page or two
that concisely summarized 13+ years of structural engineering experience,
which the application had stated  was acceptable.  But no, now the State
wanted me to become a (quote) " master writer" (unquote).   I was lucky I
did not have to wait another full year to take the S.E. test (offered only
once a year), even though I  followed the rules.

I thought the tests themselves were relatively easy, and passed them both
the first time, and yet I had to wait 2 full years to call myself an S.E.
(Almost had to wait 3 full years, but fortunately my "master writing"
abilities met all State of California requirements, plus that number 6 font
size came in mighty handy!!!).    I'm 99 percent sure I could have walked in
the day I moved here and passed the S.E. test, yet it took two years mostly
of red-tape to "go the distance".  By the rules, for my first year in
California, I could not even put  P.E. on my business card.  At the end of
two years, I had a piece of paper to hang on the wall, but no more skill
than I had before.

In my opinion, one unfortunate  consequence of the S.E. registration
process, however unintended, is that it acts as a barrier that limits the
ability of many qualified structural engineers in other parts of the UNITED
States to practice in California.  Yes, I've heard the argument that  it's
different here because we have earthquakes here, but you need a better
argument than that, especially with the IBC coming soon.   California S.E.'s
do not have a monopoly on earthquake engineering expertise, or whatever it
is that makes S.E.'s so special.  Should it really take 2 to 5 years to gain
California S.E. registration even if you are already registered in other
parts of the UNITED States?

In my opinion, the C.E. versus S.E. debate ranks right up there with the
"how many angels fit on a pinhead" debate.   I vote to submit this issue to
The People's Court (Judge Koch presiding) for a ruling!  Or what about Judge
Judy?

Steve Uthoff
Current California S.E. (since 1993)
Former Texas P.E.  (1983-1992)

P.S.  I'll never, ever let my California  S.E. license expire, unless I win
the lottery!