RE: CE licensing a different problem

From:	Lew Midlam [SMTP:Lew.Midlam(--nospam--at)lcm.com]
Sent:	Saturday, October 04, 1997 5:26 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: CE licensing a different problem

Regarding 'plan stamping' and experience requirements:

What Dennis decribed is illegal in most states.

I have contacted BORPELS on this issue in the past. I had hired
another engineer (in this case licensed) to prepare the design
and analysis of a project for me. He did not work within my
office, but I was responsible to review his work and stamp it
off for submittal. I was, however, completely familiar with the
project and discussed the project with the other PE to determine
the best design approach.
BORPELS told me that this was legal and that the plans or design
do not need to be done in my office for me to take
responsibility for them.
Consider also, the architect that wishes to produce his own
framing plans in his own office, email them to the engineer for
review and red-lining and have the engineer stamp the plans.
Virtual offices are becoming more and more common and the
engineer is not often at the same site the work is being
prepared.
BORPELS must have considered this in their response to me.
 Possibly other states have different requirements but whatever
method is accepted, the engineer must be familiar with the
project and in control of the final design.

This raises another good questions. Codes and laws must be
maintained to stay abreast of technology and professional
trends. When these restrictive laws were written no one
conceived of the day that we would be working in satellite or
virtual offices. This may be another law that needs to be
changed to keep in step with the times.

As for an engineer gaining experience for the P.E. exam,  again
the
requirements vary from state to state.  One state in particular
requires
that the 4 years of experience after college graduation be
obtained
under the 'direct' supervision of a P.E.  In that state the
experience
must be obtained under a P.E. who has hire/fire authority over
the
intern engineer, or the P.E. and the intern work for the same
individual
who has hire/fire authority over both of them.

I personnaly know of a very talented engineering intern who had
worked
for a county agency for 6 years as the only engineer in the
agency.  He
did most of the engineering, and hired consultants to help him
when he
needed it.  When he applied to take the P.E. exam he was told
'none' of
the 6 years could be counted as experience because his boss was
not a
P.E.   The county agency wanted the intern to get his license so
they
offered to hire me as a consultant to be his mentor, but the
state said
'No way.  The P.E. has to have hire/fire authority over the
intern".  In
the end, this very talented engineer had to take a 4 year
'leave-of-absence' from his county job and I hired him as a
direct
employee so he could gain the required experience.

I would agree with this. This is the reason I suggested that he
contact his local licensing agency to see if he can be evaluated
by a review committee to determine whether or not he can take
the exam.
A local engineer out here took the exam last year and past. He
could not have taken the exam if it were not for SEAOSC who had
the engineer come to LA and sit before a committee or group of
engineers who evaluated his qualifications. He was allowed to
take the exam.
I also believe that BORPELS has a requirement that states that
an SE can provide a reference based upon evaluation of the
applicants work. I believe this is intended to allow an
applicant to take the exam who does not have the required number
of professionals practicing in his area.

Dennis Wish PE