Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: CE licensing a different problem

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

 [Bill Allen]
So, Dennis, what would you think of a SEAOC committee reviewing 
your work so that you could use the title "structural engineer"? 
This sounds like a way for SEAOC to generate some income.

Bill, I would not expect this until the title act is reformed 
which is what many of us are suggesting. Even if the title act 
is changed to allow CE's to use the term Structural Engineers, I 
would be pleased to see BORPELS or SEAOC establish a committee 
to review every CE's declaration in order to verify if they have 
been practicing in the field of structural engineering.
One other thing that could help is to let an applicant for CE 
declare his specialty and have his references required in this 
area only. When he/she takes the exam, they should be allowed to 
choose from two exams - one covering land the other specific to 
I don't however, feel that it is necessary for the engineer to 
be tested on specialty area's such as those specific to 
high-rise and essential facility. This is best left to the 
"expert" or specialist license title.

Dennis Wish PE