RE: CA PE License!

From:	Swaminathan Krishnan [SMTP:SKRISHNAN(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net]
Sent:	Saturday, October 04, 1997 10:39 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	CA PE License!

I was awarded only 2 years of experience for my 4 year
Bachelor's Degree
from the
Indian Institute of Technology Madras (which I am sure most of
you would
recognize
as one of the premier institutes in the world) simply because it
is not an
ABET accredited
institute. On the other hand I was given full credit for my M.S.
degree
from Rice University.

Now if Rice University can recognize my undergrad degree and if
BORPELS can
recognize
my MS degree from Rice shouldn't they give full credit for my
Bachelors
degree? It seems
very unfair that inspite of having the same qualifications as
one who has a
Bachelors from
a US University, I have to wait for 2 additional years to get my
PE License
and hence
2 additional years for my SE.

I'm not sure that this can be taken for granted since it is not
 necessary to be a Civil Engineering graduate to enter a
Structural Engineering Masters program. If I remember from my
days in college, you needed only an engineering degree or
completion of certain engineering undergraduate courses to
qualify for a masters program in structural.
If this were the case, then BORPELS would be justified in their
action. I would think, however, that providing them transcripts
with course descriptions may help in your behalf.
My years in college span over two decades (different majors,
engineering courses taken at multiple universities etc.). In one
case, I had to find the college catalog from a university I
attended in 1968 to try and match courses then to those offered
twenty years later. This was left to the discretion of the
university advisers.
ABET accreditation has been used as a standard for allowance of
students in the US to take the PE exam or enter masters
programs. I would not think that the standard should be lowered
because universities outside the US are not ABET accredited.
This should be on a school by school basis and should be
evaluated fairly by BORPELS and other licensing boards.
Try the course description criteria with an appeal to BORPELS
and see where it goes from there.

Dennis S. Wish PE