Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: CE licensing a different problem

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

-----Original Message-----
From:	dennismc [SMTP:dennismc(--nospam--at)]
Sent:	Sunday, October 05, 1997 10:03 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Re: CE licensing a different problem

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

> I don't however, feel that it is necessary for the engineer to
> be tested on specialty area's such as those specific to
> high-rise and essential facility. This is best left to the
> "expert" or specialist license title.
> Dennis Wish PE

The structural exams I have seen do not test anything on 
high-rise or
essential facilities.  The tests are based on UBC and cover the 
day to
day things that one practiicing structural engineer does, 
steel design, concrete design and wood design.

How would the test be any different?

Dennis McCroskey


It's been a long time since I looked at an SE review manual, but 
what I remember, there was a design problem(s) for multi-story 
steel or concrete structures which required extensive knowledge 
of finite element analysis, moment distribution techniques and 
lateral load distribution through rigid diaphragms. I also 
believe that more emphasize is placed on ultimate strength 
design rather than working stress methods. Inasmuch as 99% of 
what I design is based upon working stress methods, I have no 
need to "bone-up" on plastic analysis.

I would also have thought that the exam covers area's of codes 
used in the design of essential facilities. Schools and 
hospitals require the knowledge of codes (other than UBC) 
mentioned in prior posts. I would assume that the design 
problems are tied into this.

Possibly, someone who went through the most recent SE exam (last 
October I believe) could enlighten us on some of the design 

Dennis Wish PE