Re: CE licensing a different problem

Lynn Howard wrote:

> Lew Midlam wrote:
>
> > Some states require only that the drawings be prepared under the
> > supervision of the P.E.  Others require the *direct* supervision of the
> > P.E.    *Direct* supervision usually is interpreted as 'day-to-day'
> > oversight and control of the drawing's preparation by a subordinate or
> > counterpart of the P.E. within the same organization.
>
> I would like to bring up an issue that I have been considering for some time
> now, and that is the signing of plans of Principals of a company, when in
> reality there is no day to day direct supervision of the project "in-house".
>
> Here is how projects go in our office:  We have an office with 7 engineers,
> two principals,  4 other full time engineers with varying levels of
> experience, and on part time engineer.
> When a project comes into the office, it is assigned to either myself or my
> partner as the managing principal engineer.  We sign all drawings and
> calculations that this office puts out.  None of the other engineers stamps
> and signs anything.
>
> If the project engineer for the job is a young inexperienced engineer, the
> my partner and I stay pretty well involved in the project for the entire
> duration of preparation of construction documents.  Many times we are also
> the project engineer and do all of the work ourselves.  For these kinds of
> projects, I feel when we sign and stamp drawings that we have fulfilled the
> requirement of "direct supervision".
>
> However, if a more experienced engineers is the project engineer, we will
> review the structural system and preliminary plans at the beginning of the
> job, and only be very minimally involved during the preparation of
> construction documents.  We then do a back check of the plans and
> calculations, and then sign and stamp them.  This is really little more than
> a "plan stamper" would do.  He reviews someone else's drawings and
> calculations, marks up any corrections he wants, and then stamps them.
>
> The real problem I have is that at times we are buried with work and
> deadlines, and my review and final backcheck may be minimal if I have very
> high confidence in the Project Engineer who prepared the drawings, possibly
> doing less checking of  the work than a "plan stamper" would.
>
> I am interested in knowing if our practice is common among other firms or
> not.  Do other firms require the project engineers to sign and stamp
> drawings?  Do other Principals stay involved on all projects they are going
> to stamp on a daily basis?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lynn

Lynn

My experience was that once I past the Structural Engineers Exam I began
to stamp structural plans for the firm I was working for at that time.
I was not a principal engineer of the firm.  I did not stamp drawings
when I was registered as a Civil Engineer only.

Jill T. Shuttlewroth, P.E., S.E.
Sunnyside, WA