Re: CE licensing a different problem

Roger Turk wrote:

> Jill Shuttleworth,
>
> *You* are assuming an awful lot of responsibility and getting none of the
> benefits(?).  (Are you listed on the firm's E&O insurance as an also named
> insured?)
>
> I am a sole practitioner, however, it is my philosophy that *no* employee
> should seal plans.  If the firm wants an employee to seal plans, then that
> employee should be made a partner in the firm or to have an ownership
> interest in the firm.
>
> A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> Tucson, Arizona

Roger, I agree with you, that's also my policy for my firm. I would not
expect my employee to stamp and sign the drawings without giving that
person some sort of ownership of the firm. I believe that is the case
for most decent structural engineering firm except the most recent firm
I worked for (about 4000 employee firm). My previous group manager, who
is an officer(partner) of the firm probably signed less drawings than me
because he would make the project managers signed all the drawings and
assumed all the responsiblilities and liabilities. Guess who got all the
credits? Not me!

Tom Chiu, SE