welding rebar

I have a question with regard to the proper electrode to be utilized when
welding weldable rebar to an embed plate.  In the past (present for that
matter) we have always had in our specs that all welding was to be made with
E70 electrodes.  We recently received a plan check which stated that all
welding of A706 bars should utilize E80 electrodes.  This would seem to make
sense if the application was splicing rebar or something of that nature, but
if you are welding to an embed plate (usually A36 or A572, Gr. 50) is it
mandatory to use  E80 electrodes?

Chris Palmateer