Another Error in Phone Book

Steve Uthoff wrote:

<< I am "structural" engineer who practiced for 12 years in Texas as a
 Professional Engineer (it doesn't get any higher than that in Texas), then
 moved to California in 1991.  Since reciprocity does not exist between Texas

 & California (because California does not allow it), I had to take a special

 seismic and surveying!!!! test (offered every 6 months), then wait for
 written notification of a passing score before I could submit my application

 to take the California S.E. exam (offered once a year).  It took me two
 years to get my S.E. license after moving here, and that was the quickest
 timeframe possible under the system.   I was a registered P.E. in Texas for
 over 8 years prior to moving to California.>>

Steve.

You know what they say:  "That which is lightly achieved is lightly
regarded."  My experience is as follows:  I passed the EIT without studying.
 I studied fairly hard for the C.E. and passed easily.  I studied real hard
for the S.E. and was sweating bullets waiting for the result that I passed.
 Which of the three do you think I feel is the greatest accomplishment?  In
my opinion, the more difficult it is to get something, the more it is
appreciated and less abused.

However, having worked with you, and assuming that you are representative of
Texas engineers, I would say that we ought to give Texas structurals an
exemption to the California licensing laws.  Does everyone agree?

Carl Sramek  : - )

(P.S.  I hope this came out in the lighthearted manner in which it was
intended.)