RE: welding rebar

Actually, AWS D1.4-92 Table 5.1 shows E80 electrodes for A706 bars and
E90 for A615 Gr 60! However, your point about welding the bar to A36
plate is analogous to basing lap splice lengths for different size bars
on the smaller rather than the larger bar in a given splice - makes
sense to me, you can't develop more than the strength of the weaker
link.