RE: SE requirements

>From Tom VanDorpe:

> The California State B&P code requires an SE for schools and hospitals,
> and the planchecking of private schools.  (This latter requirement
> is in the Education Code).  However, there is no state requirement for SE's
> to design highrises, seismic retrofits, etc.  So if you are a licensed CE
and
> are requested to show your SE license by a building department you should
> call BORPELS and request a backup.

What do you mean by "B&P code"?  Could you site specific code sections?  I am
still trying to locate specific state requirements for where an SE must
perform designs.  Regarding high rises, it is my understanding that these
requirements are in local codes such as for LA and San Francisco - is that
true?  But some people have claimed that a local municipality cannot require
an SE beyond what the state requires - then how could LA require an SE for
high rises?   (I am out of state and do not have easy access to state and
local codes - I tried accessing some codes on the web but I get an error when
I try to view specific state law sections.)