Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: SE requirements

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
>From Tom VanDorpe:  
> The California State B&P code requires an SE for schools and hospitals,  
> and the planchecking of private schools.  (This latter requirement  
> is in the Education Code).  However, there is no state requirement for SE's  
> to design highrises, seismic retrofits, etc.  So if you are a licensed CE 
> are requested to show your SE license by a building department you should  
> call BORPELS and request a backup.  
What do you mean by "B&P code"?  Could you site specific code sections?  I am 
still trying to locate specific state requirements for where an SE must 
perform designs.  Regarding high rises, it is my understanding that these 
requirements are in local codes such as for LA and San Francisco - is that 
true?  But some people have claimed that a local municipality cannot require 
an SE beyond what the state requires - then how could LA require an SE for 
high rises?   (I am out of state and do not have easy access to state and 
local codes - I tried accessing some codes on the web but I get an error when 
I try to view specific state law sections.)