RE: gravel under slab on grade

If it's dune sand (therefore wind-blown) it will be fine and of uniform
grain size, therefore hard to compact.  I hope the Contractor intends to
use a vibratory roller, otherwise his compaction may be only cosmetic.
Assuming you're in a seismic area, liquefaction of loose fine sand is a
real concern.  One positive note, the vapor barrier and cover will help
avoid disturbing the surface of the native sand due to workmen's feet,
etc., once it is compacted.