Re: gravel under slab on grade

Keep the gravel.

The gravel serves the purpose of allowing ground water to flow
horizontally rather that swell up the soil (not so likely with sand).
The vapor barrier keeps the moisture out and the sand allows for a
cushion from expansive materials.

If he bid the job with the, have him put it in, sand or no sand base.
If you want to take it out, have the a soils engineer make that
decision, (the contractor should pay for this if no soils engineer on
the job initially).  If it is warranted by the soils engineer to take it
out, ask the contractor how much he is saving by eliminating it, then
tell him you want that much credit back for the owner.

dennismc