RE: gravel under slab on grade

From:	Jeff Smith [SMTP:smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com]
Sent:	Thursday, October 09, 1997 9:58 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: gravel under slab on grade

Thanks for the reply.

Bill said: "Do you have a sample specification for the
compaction of
granular material including a partial list of required
equipment?" I assume
Bill was asking Mr. Turk this question and if so, I second the
motion.

Does simply weting down the sand over the course of several days
prior to
the slab pour help. Keep in mind the sand I was referring to has
been there
for a long time with a exisiitng slab over it. We are lowering
the slab
about 6"

The common method for compaction of native sand in my area has
been to wet the sand for a few days prior to placing the slab.
Local authorities require a compaction test on may of the lots
where fill has been brought in but do not require it where
native sand is built upon.
Wherever fill is added, rollers are used in our area to obtain
suitable compaction and compaction tests are required.

Dennis S. Wish PE
Wish(--nospam--at)cyberg8t.com