RE: Another Error in Phone Book

Bill Allen:

The references to Texas engineers getting "license exemptions" and
"raising the bar" in California were intended as humor, and nothing
more.  If you think way back, humor was more common before The Great
California CE/SE Identity Crisis of 1997 arose on this listserv.  As a
PE without an identity crisis, I suggest that ya'll consider Joe
McCormick's excellent recent post as a fitting closure to this tiresome
debate, and move on.

Also, your knowledge of the Texas PE exam requirements is outdated.
While an engineering student in good standing in an ABET accredited
program can take the EIT exam while still in school, he/she must wait
four full years after receiving his/her BS degree before applying to
take the PE exam.  A detailed record (perhaps 20 typed pages) must be
submitted to verify the adequacy of the experience obtained during this
waiting period.  Usually, the first several months of experience are
discounted by the PE Board, so a wait of five years is pretty common.  A
MS degree can be substituted for one year of experience.

Although both exams are currently being reformatted, the EIT exam has
traditionally been 8 hours of multiple choice, and the PE exam has been
8 one-hour analysis/design problems.  There normally are exactly eight
structural problems on the exam, but it takes some time to find them.
When I took the exam, I was surprised (and pleased) to find that one of
the problems was seismic.  Both exams are standard NCEES, and not
specific to Texas.

Best Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas