engineers and single family houses

>Perhaps the main reason that Texas engineers typically do not share the
>frustration of our California brethren is that few (if any) of us have
>anything to do with single family housing and wood framing except for
>the Gulf Coast counties.  This is a beneficial result of our low
>seismicity.  Thus, it follows that, if Texas was Seismic Zone 4, the
>structural engineers would likely be frustrated.
>
>Have a Great Weekend,
>
>Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.

Please clarify.  Are you saying that the majority of single family housing
in Texas is not engineered by a licensed PE?  Are Architects doing the
engineering or does the reduced seismic requirements relegate single family
design to just conforming to the conventional construction provisions of
the Code?

You are right in stating that a large number of CE's and SE's in Calif
specialize in residential light frame construction.  I am curious what
percentage of engineers do this type of work outside of CA.  Engineers from
other states please respond! :)

Kevin McCune