Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: SE requirements

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
At 12:04 AM 10/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-10-08 10:18:21 EDT, you write:
><< and the planchecking of private schools.  (This latter requirement  
> > is in the Education Code). >>
>     Where can i get a copy?
>     Thanks in advance.
>     Tom Harris , SE
>     Thousand  Oaks, CA

While the post you refer to was not mine, I will attempt to provide the
answer to your question.

All of the California Codes are on the Internet. I believe that the
Education Code section that was referred to is section 17332 which reads as

An enforcement agency is qualified to undertake the review of plans,
drawings, and specifications for a private school structure if the
enforcement agency has a structural engineer, either on its staff or under
contract, that is responsible for all design review conducted by the
enforcement agency and the record prepared under Section 17328.

Education Code section 17328 reads as follows:

"The enforcement agency shall approve or reject all drawings and
specifications for the construction or alteration of private school
structures and in doing so shall review the submitted design calculations,
drawings, and specifications to ensure compliance with the requirements of
this article.  A record shall be kept by the enforcement agency indicating
that design calculations, drawings, and specifications have been reviewed
and conform with the applicable sections of the Uniform Building Code."

Education Code section 17323 states in part: "For the purposes of this
article: ... 
(d) "Structural engineer" means a person authorized to use the title of
structural engineer under Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 6700) of
Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code."

The site for the California Codes is:
The codes are searchable.  Try structural and  engineer as search terms for
more sections containing the words structural and engineer.