asd vs lfrd

        I was wondering why allowable stress design is still being used in
the United States.  I am a practising structural engineer in Canada and have
been using limit states design, which i believe is called lfrd in the US,
since I graduated from university.  I do not have much knowledge about asd,
so can somebody clue me in on the advantages and disadvantages between the
two systems? Also I am wondering why you have so many exams to become
registered as a professional engineer.  Here in Canada, after you graduate,
you are registered as an engineer in training.  After a period of two to
four years, depending on your province of residence, as an engineer in
training you become a professional engineer after passing a civil law exam
related to engineering.  Many people have told me the reason for the
differences in our systems is that your engineering programs are not
regulated from university to university, so the quality of students is
judged more from whether they can pass the exams after they graduate.  Our
engineering programs are regulated by a central body insuring that all
students are taught the same courses and that all of our engineers are on
equal footing.

thanks
Jon Turner