Re: Automatic Reciprocity for Texans

Carl Sramek wrote:
<< Now for a hypothetical, but serious, question for all you Texans about
plan stamping:  Say that 6 Flags Amusement Park wanted to purchase a roller
coaster ride from a German company.  It is to be built in San Antonio, where
a Texas engineering stamp is required.  The German company wants to hire a
local engineer to stamp the design, but cannot because of the law forbidding
plan stamping.  What does the German company do?>>

Stan Caldwell responded:
<<This is an excellent question.  First, the Germans should hire a Texas
engineering firm to design (or redesign, or site-adapt) the roller coaster.
 It should be either a multi-discipline firm or a group of firms, since the
design will require MEP as well as structural.  The design probably doesn't
involve architecture, so the engineering firm should be the prime
professional.  Then, the Germans should hire that firm or another Texas
structural engineering firm to design (and seal) the foundation system, based
on a site-specific geotechnical investigation.

The point is that the Germans are not allowed to simply hire a local engineer
to review and seal their previously completed design.  The project must be
redrawn and respecified by an engineering firm that employs full-time Texas
PEs in each applicable discipline.  In actual practice, Six Flags tends to
avoid purchasing turn-key rides. They prefer to invent their own unique
creations, and the detail design work is done by local engineers.>>

Stan.

I think we are moving into a grey area here that only the licensing board can
clarify, but let me try continuing the logic.  Even though Six Flags (chosen
for hypothetical purposes only) may avoid turn-key, or off-the-shelf, rides,
I think it is reasonable to assume that they, or a similar company, would
want to purchase a ride from a German company.  Many foreign countries,
Germany included, have the expertise to design unique structures for use in
the United States, and they are most qualified to do so by their years of
experience on these type of structures.

Based on your response, the German company would need to hire a company with
a Texas license with three possible options:  1. design the structure; 2.
redesign the structure; or 3. site-adapt the structure.  The U.S. company
must redraw and respecify the entire project.

The sanity of these options seems a little stretched.  I would not like
Option 1, since I would trust the German company more than the Texas engineer
since they are the experts in this type of structure.  In Option 2, this is
totally redundant, and a huge waste of money.  I don't think it is
appropriate to ask Six Flags to pay for this.  For Option 3, wouldn't this be
the same as plan-stamping, since the design wasn't by the Texas engineer.

Also, what would "redrawing and respecifying" entail?  Would it be
satisfactory to take the AutoCad drawing details and transfer them to the
Texas company's letterhead, or does the Texas company have to manually redraw
all details bit by bit.

Excuse me for sounding a little picky here.  This seems a difficult subject
to reconcile in a rational manner.  Maybe the answer is for the German
company to pass the design work on to a U.S. architect, then the dilemma
wouldn't exist.  (To Bill Allen:  Ignore that last sentence.  I was just
kidding.)

P.S.  Again a reminder that SIx Flags was chosen for a hypothetical example
only.

Thanks.  : - )

Carl Sramek