Re: asd vs lrfd

At 02:32 PM 10/12/1997 -0400, you wrote:
>        I was wondering why allowable stress design is still being used in
>the United States.  I am a practising structural engineer in Canada and have
>been using limit states design, which i believe is called lfrd in the US,
>since I graduated from university.  I do not have much knowledge about asd,
>so can somebody clue me in on the advantages and disadvantages between the
>two systems?

I would be the last person on this list to offer a personal opinion on this
matter, however a very brief rationale for introducing limit states design
in Canada is found in 'Supplement to the National Building Code of Canada
1990, Commentary F, Limit States Design'. It is out of print, contact me if
you want a copy of this part.

--
Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada