Re: engineers and single family houses

Allow me to pass along one war story from years gone by in the trenches
of Shawnee Mission, Kansas (CABO land).

I was checking a house some years ago after the rough in carpentry was
completed and found a significant number of problems with the framing.
The contractor balked at the repair work, and refused to fix the
problems.  The owner went to the city inspector with my report.  The
inspector did not visit the site, but sided with the contractor.  The
inspector was a colleague, and I took him out for a drink.  The
inspector told me that the owner was just one guy, but the contractor
had the backing of the developers.  And that was where the clout (and
his job security) was.

I asked him if he would put his PE seal on the construction.  He did not
even hesitate and answered, "No!"  But as the inspector for the city, he
would allow it because it did not depart from "normal" construction.

The one common comment that I have received from houses that I have been
involved with (that were built correctly) is that when the wind comes
up, they don't squeak.  What higher praise could a PE aspire to.

Regards,
Harold Sprague (formerly did residential)
Black & Veatch (which does not do residential)