Re: Automatic Reciprocity for Texans

Sprague, Harold O. wrote:

> We have been dealing in a fairly vague example for Texas (i.e.: a Six
> Flags ride).  In the real world, what does Butler or Varco-Pruden do for
> a metal building in Texas?
>
> I would feel much more comfortable with a significant portion of the
> design done by the metal building manufacturer.  In projects that I have
> been involved with from Florida to California, the engineering on the
> superstructure of a prefab metal building was performed by the
> manufacturer.  By the way, we go to great lengths to prequalify the
> metal building manufacturer and list the basic design parameters.
>
> Regards,
> Harold Sprague
> Black & Veatch

Harold-
This is an excellent point.  We have been involved in many metal building
projects where Butler or Varco-Pruden or some other manufacturer is involved
in the design.

Typically, we design the foundations and get the loads from the metal
building manufacturer.  The metal building manufacturer will submit plans
and calculations stamped by an Engineer registered in the State of
California.  It seems most building manufacturers have someone with a
California stamp.  We review the plans and calculations and red line any
corrections we think are necessary, and send them back for revision.  They
resubmit the revised plans and calculations with their wet stamp and wet
signature.  We combine these with our foundation plans and drawings and
submit them to the building department.  Our local building departments will
accept a letter by us that states something like "we have reviewed the
structural plans and calculations prepared by the metal building
manufacturer and find them to be in substantial conformance with the current
structural section of the governing code."  We are not required to stamp the
metal building plans, calculations or the letter.  I don't know if all
building departments work in the same way, however, Santa Barbara County and
City will allow such an arrangement.

Lynn