Re: asd vs lrfd

>Reasons not to use LRFD:

>1.	Service load criteria frequently control
Fatigue is an important design consideration also not covered.

>2.	When the material strength is so variable, as with wood,
And aluminum and composite materials.

>3.	When live loads are of a different type of load than dead
Such as machinery platforms or lifting equipment.

>4.	In foundations when subject to partial uplift.
Or any other situation involving boundary non-linearity.

LRFD may be an OK approach for some types of building design using
set-piece, quasi-static loading scenarios, but I can't imagine it will
replace honest-to-God stress or load analysis anywhere else.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw