RE: engineers and single family houses

What I don't understand is that in most cases, lateral design
for residential building are governed by wind and not seismic
(unless it as a massive heavy tiled roof or is of brick design
like the mid-west). Texas as with most of the Midwest and
pan-handle states are subject to heavy wind loads which will do
equally as much damage as an earthquake.
Being outside of seismic zone 4 should not eliminate the need
for engineering design or at least design based upon analysis by
a competent architect or engineer.
I know that on the west coast "Conventional framing" tended to
govern over the years and engineered plans were the exception to
the rule. I would think that with east coast hurricanes and
Midwestern tornado's and the historic extent of damage that a
properly designed wood structure for residential use would be of
greater concern - if only for the increased rise of property
values since the early seventies. There is more financial risk
than ever before.
This may not have been a valid justification for engineered
plans in the past, however, the insurance industry believes it
to be the emphasis for improved standards in the last few years.

Dennis Wish PE