Plan Stamping

When we had this discussion we were discussing the legality of
an engineer stamping a set of drawings which were not prepared
in his establishment or under direct supervision. What I forgot
at the time (and have seen in other posts) is that this is
commonly done with steel buildings such as those designed by
Heritage Building Systems in Arkansaw. These buildings (like
Butler type structures) are shipped all over the United states
and are are stamped by some engineer in California (or any other
state) who reviews the plans and then stamps them.
The same holds true for manufactured wood trusses which are
often calculated in Boulder Colorado and shipped to a California
licensed engineer for review and final stamping.
This is obviously considered a standard practice, but is it in
keeping with our state laws?

Dennis Wish PE