RE: Automatic Reciprocity for Texans

>There no longer is any such thing as temporary licensing in Texas.
>
>Well, then, I suppose they'd have to go for permanent licensing.

You are very astute.

>The German company needs to plan ahead.  It will take them about a
> year to go through the process to get one of their engineers licensed in
> Texas.
>
>Hmm.  It does seem like the process could be streamlined a *little*, so that
>they could obtain a license in, say, six months.

Actually, a year might be on the short side.  It could take somewhat
longer.  I agree that this is unfortunate, but it is reality.

>In any case, doesn't anyone planning a project in a venue he or she doesn't
>know have to inquire about the technicalities of performing engineering work
>there, whether it's in another state or another country?  Projects like this
>don't happen overnight, they take time, and I would expect a competent firm
>to make those kinds of inquiries right at the point where such a project
>starts to look like a strong possibility.
>
>But then I've never worked as a licensed engineer outside of the state I live
>in, so what do I know? <grin>

My colleagues and I work on projects throughout the US and in Mexico.
The project schedules are typically just as short as for local jobs.
>From time to time, we find ourselves turning down opportunities in The
Great State of XXXXXX simply because we don't have a current XXXXXX PE
License in-hand.  Planning is more of a concept than a reality.

Stan Caldwell, P.E. (in 6 states, and growing)