Re: engineers and single family houses

     This is my understanding of Texas law; correct me if I am wrong:

     A PE engineers a residential structure for an architect.  The PE
     provides calculations and completely details the structure with
     sketches.  The architect prepares the drawings and the PE stamps the
     drawings after a thorough review and backcheck.  This is considered
     illegal plan stamping.

     Another architect prepares residential plans without imput from a PE
     and a contractor builds the structure based on UBC Conventional
     provisions, or some other standard.  This is not illegal, and in fact,
     encouraged.

     How are the Texas laws better than those in California where the
     majority of this type of structure is engineered by a PE?

     Ken Agee, S.E.

     _