RE: asd vs lrfd

Chris Serroels,

I was not talking about different load factors for different
materials, I was talking about different load factors for different
load.  This screws things up something terribly!

Unless there is something significantly different in the latest AASHTO
Code, Table 3.22.1A in the 1992 AASHTO Code, updated thru the 1994
Interim Spec., regardless of material gives the load factor for dead
load [beta(D)] to be 1.0 for flexural and tension members and the load
factor for live load is 1.67.  For columns, beta(D) varies from 0.75
to 1.0, depending axial load and eccentricity.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona