RE: Automatic Reciprocity for Texans

At 09:21 AM 10/10/97 -0500, you wrote:

>>So, we're all agreed, Texas structural engineers may practice in California
>>without any additional licensing.  And, in return, they will not engage in
>>low balling or plan stamping, thus raising the dignity of the profession in
>>our state.
>>
>>Now for a hypothetical, but serious, question for all you Texans about plan
>>stamping:  Say that 6 Flags Amusement Park wanted to purchase a roller
>>coaster ride from a German company.  It is to be built in San Antonio, where
>>a Texas engineering stamp is required.  The German company wants to hire a
>>local engineer to stamp the design, but cannot because of the law forbidding
>>plan stamping.  What does the German company do?
>>
>>Thanks.  Carl Sramek
>>
>Carl:
>
>This is an excellent question.  First, the Germans should hire a Texas
>engineering firm to design (or redesign, or site-adapt) the roller
>coaster.  It should be either a multi-discipline firm or a group of
>firms, since the design will require MEP as well as structural.  The
>design probably doesn't involve architecture, so the engineering firm
>should be the prime professional.  Then, the Germans should hire that
>firm or another Texas structural engineering firm to design (and seal)
>the foundation system, based on a site-specific geotechnical
>investigation.
>
>The point is that the Germans are not allowed to simply hire a local
>engineer to review and seal their previously completed design.  The
>project must be redrawn and respecified by an engineering firm that
>employs full-time Texas PEs in each applicable discipline.  Please note,
>however, that this firm does not need to be based in Texas.  The cost of
>this "extra" engineering work must be borne by the Germans and,
>hopefully, included in their price to Six Flags.
>
>In actual practice, Six Flags tends to avoid purchasing turn-key rides.
>They prefer to invent their own unique creations, and the detail design
>work is done by local engineers.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
>>Dallas, Texas

Stan:
wouldn't the following section of the PE practice act apply? It doesn's say
that the first engineer has to be registered in texas?

§131.152. Engineers Shall Be Objective and Truthful.

(e) Engineers shall only issue work conforming with the board's sealing
rules. However, an engineer, as a third party, may alter, complete,
correct, revise, or add to the work of another
engineer when engaged to do so by a client, provided:

(1) the client furnishes the documentation of such work submitted to the
client by the first engineer;

(2) the first engineer is notified in writing by the second engineer of the
engagement immediately upon acceptance of the engagement; and

(3) any work altered, completed, corrected, revised, or added to shall have
a seal affixed by the second engineer. The second engineer then becomes
responsible for any alterations,
additions or deletions to the original design including any effect or
impact of those changes on the original engineer's design.

Simon Solorio