Re[2]: engineers and single family houses

     Who is accountable in the second scenario?

Subject: RE: engineers and single family houses
Author:  <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org > at corp-internet-burbank
Date:    10/13/97 5:25 PM

>     This is my understanding of Texas law; correct me if I am wrong:

     A PE engineers a residential structure for an architect.  The PE
>         provides calculations and completely details the structure with
>          sketches.  The architect prepares the drawings and the PE stamps
>the
>     drawings after a thorough review and backcheck.  This is considered
>     illegal plan stamping.
>
>     Another architect prepares residential plans without imput from a PE
>     and a contractor builds the structure based on UBC Conventional
>     provisions, or some other standard.  This is not illegal, and in fact,
>     encouraged.
>
>     How are the Texas laws better than those in California where the
>     majority of this type of structure is engineered by a PE?
>

>     Ken Agee, S.E.

Ken:

Your statements above are correct.  The first paragraph describes an
illegal activity, and the second does not.  I don't recall stating that
the Texas laws are better, but they certainly are different.  I think the
purpose of the Texas laws are to hold the engineer fully accountable for
his/her own work, but not for the work of others.

Hope this helps ... Stan Caldwell in Dallas