RE: engineers and single family houses

At 05:25 PM 10/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>     This is my understanding of Texas law; correct me if I am wrong:
>>
>     A PE engineers a residential structure for an architect.  The PE
>>         provides calculations and completely details the structure with
>>          sketches.  The architect prepares the drawings and the PE stamps
>>the
>>     drawings after a thorough review and backcheck.  This is considered
>>     illegal plan stamping.
>>
>>     Another architect prepares residential plans without imput from a PE
>>     and a contractor builds the structure based on UBC Conventional
>>     provisions, or some other standard.  This is not illegal, and in fact,
>>     encouraged.
>>
>>     How are the Texas laws better than those in California where the
>>     majority of this type of structure is engineered by a PE?
>>

>>     Ken Agee, S.E.
>>
>Ken:
>
>Your statements above are correct.  The first paragraph describes an
>illegal activity, and the second does not.  I don't recall stating that
>the Texas laws are better, but they certainly are different.  I think
>the purpose of the Texas laws are to hold the engineer fully accountable
>for his/her own work, but not for the work of others.
>
>Hope this helps ... Stan Caldwell in Dallas

Stan:

For my information, in which section of the Texas Engineering Practice Act
does it say that the first paragragh is an ilegal activity.
It seems that the Engineer has prepared the calculations and design sketchs
with details (let's say himself), and the Engineer has made all the design
decisions and the only thing remaining is drafting. Unless drafting is now
considered "Practice of Engineering" :-)

Plan stamping to me means, please correct me if I'm wrong, that the
Engineer places is stamp on a drawing that he did not personally design or
the design was not performed under his direct supervision.

Thanks
Simon Solorio