Re: engineers and single family houses

>I believe change will only come when the insurance companies reduce
>premiums for
>'engineered' construction.  I see no other way to get Joe Public to insist on
>'engineering' than to put money in *his* pocket.  Attempts by the design
>professional community and the code authors fail without a strong financial
>incentive.
Actually that's the way it worked in the pressure vessel industry. When
people can't get insurance for the boilers you sell, you have a powerful
incentive to start doing better work. Problem is that everyone has to
follow the same rules. If you let bottom-feeders off the hook, nobody
wants to follow the rules.

Fear is also a strong motivator. The Minneapolis paper is running a
series on ventilation and moisture-related problems. We don't have
earthquakes, but we do have winters. Turns out a great many new houses,
generally upscale, are ventilated so poorly that trapped moisture causes
structural air quality problems, including backdrafting and CO poisoning.
Houses which are supposedly built to code, aren't, and no one seems to be
held accountable. I think a strong public awareness of horror stories
from sloppy structural and mechanical design is very important in
beginning a demand for proper codes and their enforcement. Minnesota is
in the throes of upgrading its energy code to provide for proper air
quality and the newspaper articles are helping fuel public awareness and
demand.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw