Re: CE/SE/residential construction/Texas PE laws/etc.

For your information, a few tidbits from my internet search last night:

The California Consumer's Guide says that "Civil engineers may design any
building or structure except a hospital or school."  I found the California
Attorney General's web page but it didn't have a database of past "opinions"
relating to privileges granted to the holder of a state license.  But in
reading the Business and Professions Code, it appears to me that state laws
define what a civil engineer "can do" more by stating what a civil engineer
"cannot do", i.e. cannot design schools and hospitals unless an SE.  So how
does the state "grant privileges" to a civil engineer by stating what a civil
engineer cannot do?  The state mainly grants the privilege to use a title.

The latest Texas PE laws shown on their web site require an engineering firm
to have a licensed engineer "who is a full time employee of the firm" but it
also states that the provisions do not prohibit a licensed engineer from
performing engineering services on a "part time basis".  So maybe moonlighting
is still allowed?

Regarding residential construction, Texas appears to exclude all private
dwellings from PE requirements whereas the California Business and Professions
Code (section 5537) allows unlicensed design of "single-family dwellings of
wood-framed construction not more than two stories and basement in height".
(Some other apartment building types are also excluded.)  So it looks like
most conventional homes in California are also exempt from PE design?