Single Family Residence Plans & Construction

I have provided a set of plans for a waterfront home in Huntington Beach.  The
framer called in for a roofing inspection and the inspector denied the request
because the framer had used plywood panels less than 24" wide w/o blocking
(rightly so) along both sides of the ridge.  The Inspector told the framer
that if he could get written approval from the engineer he would buy it off.
Well I did not give him the approval beacuse it is explicitly stated in the
code that the plywood panels shall be 24" wide minimum w/o blocking in seismic
zones 3 & 4.  I told him that he would have to block the minimum width panels.
 At his point he became irate and wanted to know how he should have known that
this was a diaphragm roof.  And hence the question.  I did not explicitly
state on the plans that this was a diaphragm roof.  The basic reason was that
why could it be anything other than.  The nailing was explicitly stated etc..
The shear walls were also stated via shear wall table.  I was wondering if
anyone out there a) explicity states that this is a roof diaphragm on the
drawing and b)  If any one is designing single family resisdences in So. Ca
w/o roof diaphragms.