Re: engineers and single family houses

Lew Midlam writes:

>If your contract is to provide a design that meets minimum code
>requirements ...

I would be very reluctant to enter into a contract that requires that
I design to *minimum* code requirements.  My agreements are that my
designs will *comply* with the adopted building code and good
engineering practice.  Since building codes state only the level below
which you cannot go, "compliance" permits you to exceed that level.
If you agree to "conform" to the building code, that, in my opinion,
means that you will conform to the *minimum* requirements of the code,
very dangerous for a professional who is supposed to apply his/her
learned judgement based on his/her education and experience in
applying professional knowledge.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona