Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

SS - Ply Metal Driller Screws - need some help!

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I have specified a #10 Ply-Metal Driller (10-16 x 5/8" and 10-16 
x 3/4") for installation of a plywood shear wall to 16 gauge 
steel studs. The Ply-metal driller is suppose to drill through 
the plywood and then enlarge the hole in the plywood so that the 
plywood is pulled tight to the steel stud. I was under the 
impression that the wings which enlarge the plywood hole are 
located on the shank below the flat head. A similar screw from 
Cal-Fastener is called a "Floor-board" screw.
The contractor called me to inform me that the wings are located 
at the end of the screw and enlarge the steel stud hole as well. 
This does not make sense to me since the screw no longer holds 
in the stud since the wings are slightly wider than the threads.

I suspect that he is using the wrong screw.  All of the 
materials of these homes are supplied from a company called 
Steelers who are located near Seattle. The boxes of material 
that were sent to the job site do not specify the manufacter of 
the screws so I have no numbers to track from.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter. I need to specify a 
#10 self-tapping screw x 5/8" long for 3/8" plywood and 3/4" 
long for 15/32" plywood. They should be course thread (16 
threads per inch) and I would prefer to have the "cut wings" at 
the shank to insure that the plywood is pulled tight to the 
steel stud.
Please let me know if any of you have some experience with the 
Ply-metal Drillers and can confirm or help me with this problem.

Thank you,
Dennis Wish PE