This does not make sense to me since the screw no longer holds
in the stud since the wings are slightly wider than the threads.

I suspect that he is using the wrong screw.  All of the
materials of these homes are supplied from a company called
Steelers who are located near Seattle. The boxes of material
that were sent to the job site do not specify the manufacter of
the screws so I have no numbers to track from.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter. I need to specify a
#10 self-tapping screw x 5/8" long for 3/8" plywood and 3/4"
long for 15/32" plywood. They should be course thread (16
threads per inch) and I would prefer to have the "cut wings" at
the shank to insure that the plywood is pulled tight to the
steel stud.
Please let me know if any of you have some experience with the
Ply-metal Drillers and can confirm or help me with this problem.

Thank you,
Dennis Wish PE
wish(--nospam--at)cyberg8t.com