RE: Re[2]: engineers and single family houses

>     Who is accountable in the second scenario?

Barry Switzer and Ernie Zampese.  Oops, what I meant to say was the
Designer and the Contractor.  The designer may or may not be a
professional (Architect or Engineer).  This assumes that the house is
constructed in an incorporated municipality where building codes can be
enforced.  Unfortunately, in the rural areas of Texas, building codes
are neither adopted nor enforced as a matter of law.  Counties are
specifically prohibited from this responsibility.  In this respect,
Texas even lags behind Oklahoma!  I guess Dennis Wish will not be moving
to Texas any time soon. Not only are most of  our houses not engineered,
but many are not even subject to any building code.

Stan Caldwell, P.E. .... in Unhappy Dallas