RE: Single Family Residence Plans & Construction

I specifically call all roof's diaphragms since I consider all
of the residences to transfer shear through the roof sheathing
to the shear walls. I also specify floor sheathing as a floor
diaphragm for the very same reason.

This brings up an interesting point. As I mentioned in my posts
on residential construction - would you expect this contractor
to build a home based upon "Conventional framing standards" in
section 2326 of the UBC if he does not know enough to understand
that Section 2326.12.9 Roof Sheathing states:

" Roof sheathing shall be in accordance with Tables 23-I-S-1 and
23-I-S-2 for wood structural panels......"

Moving to table 23-I-S-1 and picking up on the footnote #1 in
the title of the page:

"1. Applies to panels 24-inches (610mm) or wider."

We have a contractor that the code allows to build based upon
conventional framing standards but who does not understand the
definition of a diaphragm or has probably never read the code
that he is expected to build from.

There is something wrong with a code that assumes compliance by
a knowledgable builder but makes no provisions to insure that
the builder even understands what is written. This is a "protect
the building official" type code. You all know what I mean -
"Ignorance is no excuse" protection that does little for the
future owner of the home.

Dennis Wish PE