RE: CE/SE/residential construction/Texas PE laws/etc.

Bill Sherman wrote:
"Regarding residential construction, Texas appears to exclude
all private
dwellings from PE requirements whereas the California Business
and Professions
Code (section 5537) allows unlicensed design of "single-family
dwellings of
wood-framed construction not more than two stories and basement
in height".
(Some other apartment building types are also excluded.)  So it
looks like
most conventional homes in California are also exempt from PE
design? "

Yes, but the homes must be constructed in accordance with
section 2326 of the 1994 UBC under the section title
Conventional framing. As I have stated many times, the 1994 code
has expanded this definition to allow irregular shaped
structures up to 3 stories. There are a lot of loop-holes in
this code that are counter-productive to the damage mitigation
and new construction requirements listed in the same code.
See my other posts for more information.

Dennis Wish PE