Re: Continuing Professional Development

At 02:02 PM 10/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In order to maintain my PE licenses, I currently am subject to mandatory
>CPD in New Mexico and voluntary (it will be mandatory in 2001) CPD in
>Texas.  This morning, I read that I will also be subject to mandatory
>CPD in Louisiana in 1999.  I've heard that mandatory CPD is also coming
>soon to Arkansas.  What is the current status of CPD in California, and
>elsewhere?
>
>Stan Caldwell, P.E.
>Dallas, Texas

The Calif Board's Executive Officer, on Oct 1,1997, told their SE Technical
Advisory Committee that continuing education isn't favored by the state
legislature, on grounds it does no good. She added that a provision in the
Board's PE Act rewrite bill (AB 969, awaiting legislative hearings in
January) that would have given the Board authority to require continuing
education, has therefore been dropped from the bill. One of the four Board
Members present commented, in essence that doctors do continuing education
and their practices haven't been found to have improved because of it.

Chuck Greenlaw, SE, Sacramento CA