Re: Continuing Professional Development

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Charles Greenlaw wrote:
> The Calif Board's Executive Officer, on Oct 1,1997, told their SE Technical
> Advisory Committee that continuing education isn't favored by the state
> legislature, on grounds it does no good. She added that a provision in the
> Board's PE Act rewrite bill (AB 969, awaiting legislative hearings in
> January) that would have given the Board authority to require continuing
> education, has therefore been dropped from the bill. One of the four Board
> Members present commented, in essence that doctors do continuing education
> and their practices haven't been found to have improved because of it.

This has bothered me a lot.  Both in the US and India, I have seen
wide variation in the quality of professional development courses
being offered by universities.  Is there a way to ensure minimum
quality of these courses?  One possible way is to have only
SEE (Structural Engineering Eductors) offer these courses, and the
SEE may be licensed similarly to SE, in addition to being involved
in research and development in this field.

In India, the situation with professional development courses
is pathetic.  Ofcourse, we do not have a licensing system for
CE or SE.  I have often seen amazing problems with major projects.

ravi sinha

Ravi Sinha, Ph.D.		email: rsinha(--nospam--at)gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in
Assistant Professor		       rsinha(--nospam--at)civil.iitb.ernet.in
Department of Civil Engineering	       Phone: (91-22)-578-2545 Ext. 7336
IIT, Powai, Bombay - 400 076, India    Fax: (91-22)-578-3480, 578-3557