RE: Continuing Professional Development

On Thursday, October 16, 1997 1:53 AM, Dr. Ravi Sinha
[SMTP:rsinha(--nospam--at)civil.iitb.ernet.in] wrote:
> One possible way is to have only
> SEE (Structural Engineering Eductors) offer these courses, and
> the SEE may be licensed similarly to SE, in addition to being
> involved in research and development in this field.

I can't disagree with this more. Much of what we need to learn
is on a practical level rather than theoretical. I don't mean to
insult you as an educator, but I would be more agreeable to the
idea if the instructor where someone like Don Breyer who
publishes works used as design guides in the field that ties the
theory together with the practicality of code usage.
The best instructors that I had were practicing engineers at
state universities where the instruction stayed clear of  deep
theory and stayed with a practicle approach.
Remember too that a CEU course should be able to be completed in
the same amount of time as a short seminar - a couple of hours
at the most. I would think that most Committees that put
together seminars for SEA or CASE or NSPE are adequate to
control the materials distributed for earing credit.

Dennis Wish PE