RE: Continuing Professional Development

As a nurse, my wife must complete a certain number of CEU's
during each licening period. The majority of these are offered
as mail courses. The work is not taxing and she need only read
the material and answer questions to send back that reflect that
she understood the materials.
Class attendance is not a feasibility for many who are outside
major area's that make travel difficult.
SEA has a great opportunity to take their mini-seminars and turn
them into video courses with hand book and to sell them with a
questionair that needs to be returned. Although this is not a
guarantee that the person obtaining the materials won't have
someone else complete it for them. Personally, how many of you
would spend $50.00 to $100.00 on CEU material and cheat. I
believe that only a small percentage would do this. I really
think that most of you, like I, would study the material since
the subject matter interests us. We learn something from it and
satisfy licensing requirements at the same time. HOW SIMPLE.

I have asked SEAOSC over four years ago to start taping
seminiars and to set up library facilities (possibly in many
colleges) where engineers have the ability, at their leasure, to
check the materials out and to view them. I had hoped that
SEAOSC would establish a geographical station point so engineers
did not have to travel more than fifty or sixty miles to get to
a source of seminar tapes and notes.

What an opportunity - and SEAOC claims to be in financial
distress? All they need is some good marketing people.

Dennis Wish PE