Re: Continuing Professional Development

In article <1.5.4.32.19971015210225.006f3ccc(--nospam--at)mail.speedlink.com>,
Charles Greenlaw <cgreenlaw(--nospam--at)speedlink.com> wrote:

>The Calif Board's Executive Officer, on Oct 1,1997, told their SE Technical
>Advisory Committee that continuing education isn't favored by the state
>legislature, on grounds it does no good.

I used to think that; now I think it DOES do quite a lot of good.

I just got back from ASCE's symposium on the ASCE 7-95 Wind Load
Provisions, taught by Drs. Perry (TAMU) and Mehta (TxTechU) in Corpus
Christi, Texas.  Excellent program, and really helped me to realize just
how we need to "keep up with the times" in the structural engineering
profession.

I learned a great deal, also, in the symposium I attended on the newest
NEHRP seismic requirements, although I don't exactly live in a seismic
"hot-zone" here in Houston!

I now think this requirement will, indeed, aid us in being a bit more up to
scratch.