Re: Continuing Professional Development

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> In article <1.5.4.32.19971015210225.006f3ccc(--nospam--at)mail.speedlink.com>,
> Charles Greenlaw <cgreenlaw(--nospam--at)speedlink.com> wrote:
>
> >The Calif Board's Executive Officer, on Oct 1,1997, told their SE Technical
> >Advisory Committee that continuing education isn't favored by the state
> >legislature, on grounds it does no good.

This is an interesting point, as the Montana Board's justification for
implementing CE over the objections of a number of us was that the legislature
would soon require the profession to do it, and that the Board wanted to
pre-empt the legislature so it would have more say in the form CE took.

> I used to think that; now I think it DOES do quite a lot of good.
>
> I just got back from ASCE's symposium on the ASCE 7-95 Wind Load
> [...]

> "hot-zone" here in Houston!
>
> I now think this requirement will, indeed, aid us in being a bit more up to
> scratch.

Do you then mean that you did not indulge in any efforts to keep up you were
required to do so, or did I miss your point?

Nigel