RE: Continuing Professional Development

On Saturday, October 18, 1997 6:29 AM, Nigel Mends, PE
[SMTP:nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net] wrote:

> Do you then mean that you did not indulge in any efforts to
> keep up you were
> required to do so, or did I miss your point?
>
> Nigel
Nigel,
I don't think that it really matters. The majority of licensed
professionals do not participate in seminars or lectures for
many different reasons. Many are limited by geographic
constraints that prevent them from attending seminars without
spend a great deal and losing valuble time from work. The
creation of a market for those that produce educational
materials for continuing eduation can expand the market from
physical seminars to taped, published or Internet distributed
materials.
I'm not advocating the creation of a financial market, but see
the benifit of bring an otherwise unavailable seminar to those
that do not have access or financial resources to travel and
attend in a major city.
How many flyers do we receive from AISC or ACI or any number of
other organizations that are scheduling seminars in some of the
major cities around the country to teach important changes to
the code or specific design methodologies. How about the
availability of information outside Los Angeles for
post-earthquake emergency measures that could affect other
area's in the start - or simply good practice to know.
The new market allows producers of such educational materials to
distribute real-time seminars in the form of taped and published
materials that can benifit the majority of enginers.
Personally, I don't have a problem with mandatory measures that
require a praciticing professional to stay on top of his
profession. As one other engineer stated, he wanted to choose
when to obtain additional education rather than be forced to do
it. I would normally agree, but also feel that we get bogged
down in the business end of this profession and generally
procrastinate the growing educations necessity to understand and
perform our jobs effectively. Therefore I would agree that a
mandatory measure it needed.

Finally, there is a definite benifit by way of availability of
educational materials to engineers outside metropolitan areas
when CEU's become mandatory and the market target grows larger.
Supply and demand!

Dennis Wish PE